Remote -> remote scp not working

John Horne J.Horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Wed Jun 14 01:00:40 EST 2000

Hello,

Using openssh 2.1.1p1 I have tried to use scp to copy a file from one remote
system directly to another remote system - e.g. 'scp -i ./ecp eros:jhf
alice:jhf', so the file jhf is copied from the remote system eros to the
remote system alice via an intermidate system (the one where the command is
issued from). The key is in the file ecp.

Using protocol 1 it doesn't seem to work. I can issue:
   scp -i ./ecp eros:jhf .
   scp -i ./ecp jhf alice:jhf

and these work fine. However, combining the two just gives me 'permission
denied'. Using -v doesn't seem to show much more:

Executing: exec /usr/local/bin/ssh -v -x -o'FallBackToRsh no' -n eros scp -v
jhf 'alice:jhf'
SSH Version OpenSSH_2.1.1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
Compiled with SSL (0x0090581f).
debug: Reading configuration data /export/home/jhorne/.ssh/config
debug: Applying options for *
debug: Reading configuration data /usr/local/etc/ssh_config
debug: Applying options for *
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 100 geteuid 0 anon 1
debug: Connecting to eros.csd.plymouth.ac.uk [141.163.2.9] port 22.
debug: Connection established.
debug: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version OpenSSH_2.1.1
debug: Local version string SSH-1.5-OpenSSH_2.1.1
debug: Waiting for server public key.
debug: Received server public key (1152 bits) and host key (1024 bits).
debug: Host 'eros.csd.plymouth.ac.uk' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: Encryption type: 3des
debug: Sent encrypted session key.
debug: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
debug: Received encrypted confirmation.
Permission denied.
debug: Calling cleanup 0x3d358(0x0)

The 'config' file mentioned above simply states:
Host *
  Protocol 1

I have gotten around this by copying the file directly from one system to
the other, but according to the man page a remote-remote copy should work.

Thanks,

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK             Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk