Remote -> remote scp not working

Markus Friedl markus.friedl at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Thu Jun 15 23:57:05 EST 2000

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 04:00:40PM +0100, John Horne wrote:
> Using openssh 2.1.1p1 I have tried to use scp to copy a file from one remote
> system directly to another remote system - e.g. 'scp -i ./ecp eros:jhf
> alice:jhf', so the file jhf is copied from the remote system eros to the
> remote system alice via an intermidate system (the one where the command is
> issued from). The key is in the file ecp.
>
> Using protocol 1 it doesn't seem to work. I can issue:
>    scp -i ./ecp eros:jhf .
>    scp -i ./ecp jhf alice:jhf
>
> and these work fine. However, combining the two just gives me 'permission
> denied'. Using -v doesn't seem to show much more:

	% scp bela:/bsd nohow:/tmp

actually executes:

	% ssh bela 'scp /bsd nohow:/tmp'

so authentication from host 'bela' to 'nohow'
has to work without user interaction.
the localhost does not authenticate you to both
remote hosts (only to bela).

note that the name 'nohow' is interpreted on host 'bela'.

-markus