need help with compiling openssh

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Wed Jun 14 23:39:04 EST 2000

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Patrick Amirian wrote:

> checking for openssl directory... configure: error: could not find working
> SSLeay / OpenSSL libraries, please install
>
> but I've already installed it.
> I've also tried with the option... humm... ssl-dir or something like that to
> give it the path to my ssl libraries myself but I'm getting the same
> thing...
> any ideas ?

This is a bug in the configure script...or something like it.

If you look at config.log, you should see that it fails to link
libcrypto.a to the test binary it makes...for some reason, it doesn't
apply the correct include/library directives to the compile, which would
cause OpenSSH to fail to compile to.

Anyway, the fix should be a simple:

cd /usr/local/lib; ln -s /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a .

Of course, modify where libcrypto.a is for your system.

Later,
Paul
    J. Paul Reed             preed at sigkill.com || web.sigkill.com/preed
    Look, I'm not going to say Limp Bizkit sucks. You know it... I know
    it...  I'm not going to say it.                     -- Trent Reznor