F-secure -> Openssh Compatibility

Martin Forssen maf at appgate.com
Thu Jun 29 05:17:30 EST 2000

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, W. Scott Wilburn wrote:
> We have Macintoshes running Fsecure SSH client 1.0.1 which are unable to
> connect to a server running Openssh 2.1.1 on Red Hat 6.2.
>
> I believe that the problem is a bug with Fsecure, since a 30-day trial
> version of 1.0.2 works fine. I'm a bit reluctant to tell all the Mac users
> they have to spend money to upgrade, though, since everything was fine
> until I switched my machines to OpenSSH from commercial SSH.
>
> Does anyone have any info on this? Is there a workaround?

I think the version you are using is unable to connect to a server
supporting the 2.0-protocol. Even if the server handles version-1.5. There
is some problem in the initial handshake where the client gets confused by
the version number it initially receives.

The solution is to run the server in ssh-1.5 only mode. Or if you need
2.0-capability run a 1.5-server on another port.

	/MaF