OpenSSH 1.2.3 Configure

Markus Friedl markus.friedl at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Mon Mar 13 18:34:34 EST 2000

On Sat, Mar 11, 2000 at 03:47:23AM -0500, David G. Hesprich wrote:
> Oh, hey - how about adding a configuration file token for setting the
> connection banner (assuming my request isn't violating any protocol specs)?

this would be very confusing.

> Giving away the version number is convenient, but not very secure. It'd be
> nice to be able to say, put "Banner "sshd (you can't have my version
> number)"" in the sshd_config, and connect to port 22 and see that, rather
> than "SSH-1.5-OpenSSH-1.2.3" (which is a good default, but not my first
> choice for a production box)...

you chould edit version.h, but i do not recommend this at all.
i don't see a reason why openssh should say: SSH-1.5-ssh-1.2.27 or
SSH-1.5-OpenSSH-1.2.3 if you still run 1.2.2.  Changing the version
number does not fix bugs.  Note that the SSH-1.5 prefix is obligatory.
Additionally, clients may use the vendor suffix for
bug/feature-compatibility, so it's a bad idea to change this.