A few more Solaris 7 bugs in 1.2.3pre2

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Tue Mar 14 13:03:44 EST 2000

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 Jay at aol.com wrote:

> These are all in the port of 1.2.3pre2:
>
> - configure accepts --includedir, but doesn't seem to pass it on to the
> Makefile.  You have to edit the Makefile manually if you have include files
> anywhere but /usr/include.  Which is a problem because...

You can use CFLAGS="-I/path/to/includes" ./configure to work around this.

> - The Makefile doesn't include /usr/local/include by default, which is where
> zlib installs itself by default.  Probably oughta be in there.  Same with
> /usr/local/lib.  If you install your gcc to the default directory /usr/local,
> gcc will include them automatically, but if your gcc is in, say, /usr/cygnus
> it won't.

I have added /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib to the platform
specific defines in configure for the next version.

> - The Makefile DOES include /usr/include, however.  Unfortunately, running
> gcc on a Solaris box, you want to pick up varargs.h from (gcc-lib)/include,
> not /usr/include, or else you'll get errors about __builtin_va_alist, which
> Solaris cc provides but GNU does not.  I put /usr/include as -idirafter
> instead of -I, and it worked for me.  Perhaps check for -idirafter as a
> compiler option, and use it if available?

Can you send me the exact flags that you used so I can include them?

> - The man pages don't format properly ("what nroff" gives roff: n1.c 2.13).
> All the text runs together into one long paragraph.  I am unfamiliar with
> writing man and nroff, and my attempts to fix things just made it worse.

You can always use the preformatted manpages "./configure --with-catman=cat"

Thanks,
Damien