ssh works only as root

Mate Wierdl mw at moni.msci.memphis.edu
Thu Mar 16 04:17:27 EST 2000

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 07:13:33PM +1100, Damien Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Mate Wierdl wrote:
>
> > This must be the problem:  while I specify
>
> [snip]
>
> > This is on Solaris 2.6
>
> Caould you try the 1.2.3pre3 snapshot? it should set most of the
> -R flags automatically.
>
> > One more remark: configure does not seem to understand the LD
> > variable (to specify the ld program to use).  Since apparently the
> > most recent GNU ld does not work well on Solaris (it is on the egcs
> > webpage), perhaps it may be worth making configure LD aware.
>
> Refresh my memory - why do you need to use a different ld?

I am not sure I understand the question.  On our system, the sysadm
installed gcc so that it uses the gnu linker.  But one can read at

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#sparc-sun-solaris*

that

================================
sparc-sun-solaris*

binutils 2.9.1 has known bugs on this platform. We recommend to use
the vendor tools (Sun as, Sun ld) until these have been
fixed. Unfortunately, C++ shared libraries,
including libstdc++, won't work properly if assembled with Sun as: the
linker will complain about relocations in read-only sections, in the
definition of virtual tables.
Some possible work-arounds: use some development release of binutils,
wait for the next stable binutils release or refrain from creating C++
shared libraries.

For example, the program RPM's configure exits with an error if it
finds that the gnu linker is used.

Mate