default-path

Ben Taylor bent at clark.net
Sat Mar 18 02:29:44 EST 2000

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Mate Wierdl wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 07:01:16PM -0500, Ben Taylor wrote:
> > It's really up to you.  You want to make sure you have /usr/bin
> > and whereever ssh/scp clients are as a minimum.  The rest is
>
> This is the part which is not clear to me:  So in order to use scp,
> the remote site also has to have scp.  In other words, it is not
> enough to have just sshd running.

if you only have sshd loaded, I think you can only do port forwarding
and secure logins.  If you have scp, ssh, etc (on the server side),
then you can do secure copies and secure remote shell activities.
(I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on this)

> But looking at how the openssh rpm is divided up, I see that scp is in
> the package required by both the server and the client packages.

The rpm is just a distribution.  I would guess that the RPM is setup so
you don't have any extra overhead in loading the client, as opposed
to the server, if you will only be doing client activities.

Ben