Problem finding openssl in openssh-2.0.0test1

Phil Karn karn at ka9q.ampr.org
Mon May 1 05:20:23 EST 2000

Hi. I saw a new release appear today, and I pulled it down to see if
some residual problems in port forwarding from openssh-1.2.3 were
fixed.

The configure script had trouble finding the openssl package, even though
I had it installed in the standard place (/usr/local/ssl). I investigated
and found that the failed test compile was caused by two nonfatal compiler
warnings that memset and RAND_add were being implicitly defined.

As a hackaround I inserted

#include <string.h>
#include <openssl/rand.h>

just before

#include <openssl/rsa.h>
#include <openssl/bn.h>
#include <openssl/sha.h>

in the test program. configure succeeded, and so did the subsequent compile.

I'm rather unfamiliar with the conventions for configure scripts, so I
don't know if this is the right way to fix the problem.

Phil