Confusion over versioning...

Mike Fisk mfisk at lanl.gov
Thu May 18 04:03:19 EST 2000

On Wed, 17 May 2000, J. Paul Reed wrote:

> On Wed, 17 May 2000, Markus Friedl wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 03:43:23AM -0700, J. Paul Reed wrote:
> > > So, my question is is the 1.2.x branch of OpenSSH effectively dead?
> >
> > there are no branches of OpenSSH.  version numbers are arbitrary.
> > version numbers only tell you: beginning with version x this bug y is
> > gone.
>
> Ok...so this is different from how they originially did ssh (i.e. a 1.2.x
> "branch" and a 2.x branch for ssh2).

Note that the Ylonen/DataFellows SSH2 appears to not even be a branch of
their 1.x code --- it lacks many things that were already present in 1.x.

OpenSSH is doing it the "right" way by having a unified package that
supports protocols 1 and/or 2.

--
Mike Fisk, RADIANT Team, Network Engineering Group, Los Alamos National Lab
See http://home.lanl.gov/mfisk/ for contact information