Openssh-2.1.0p1 test release

Lutz Jaenicke Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
Thu May 18 18:26:33 EST 2000

On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 11:47:48PM +1000, Damien Miller wrote:
> This to announce a test release of 2.1.0p1 before making it widely
> available.
> Please report bugs to this mailing list directly. It is open again to
> non-subscribers.

Hi,

again I am building OpenSSH-2.1.0p1 on HP-UX 10.20 :-)
[Longish post, sorry]

You have missed the patch sent from "Tom Bertelson <tbert at abac.com>"
to fix a stacksize overflow on AIX (Tom) and HP-UX (experienced by myself):

*** serverloop.c.orig	Wed May 17 14:34:23 2000
--- serverloop.c	Thu May 18 09:44:54 2000
***************
*** 85,91 ****
  	int save_errno = errno;
  	debug("Received SIGCHLD.");
  	child_terminated = 1;
- 	signal(SIGCHLD, sigchld_handler2);
  	errno = save_errno;
  }

--- 85,90 ----
***************
*** 648,653 ****
--- 647,653 ----
  			while ((pid = waitpid(-1, &status, WNOHANG)) > 0)
  				session_close_by_pid(pid, status);
  			child_terminated = 0;
+ 			signal(SIGCHLD, sigchld_handler2);
  		}
  		channel_after_select(&readset, &writeset);
  		process_input(&readset);

> Full Changelog:
>   - 'fixprogs' perl script to eliminate non-working entropy commands, and
> 	 optionally run 'ent' to measure command entropy

Sorry, I could not find "fixprogs" in the distribution. Hence:
        if [ -f ssh_prng_cmds -a ! -z "yes" ]; then \
                /usr/contrib/bin/perl fixprogs ssh_prng_cmds ; \
                /opt/imake/bin/install -c -m 644 ssh_prng_cmds.out /etc/ssh/ssh_prng_cmds; \
        fi
Can't open perl script "fixprogs": No such file or directory
*** Error exit code 2

Stop.

I am not happy with the *-*-hpux10* stuff. Starting with HP-UX 10.0
the compiler understands the "-Ae" flag for extended ANSI mode (64bit
long long). Please change line 42 in configure.in to
                CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -Ae"
In lines 45,46 (and for hpux11 as well) the "/usr/local" hierarchy is
used as a standard place to look for includes and libraries. As of
HP-UX 10, the people at the "Software Porting and Archive Center for HP-UX"
http://hpux.connect.org.uk/ have decided to move ported packages into the
/opt hierarchy (with a subdirectory for each package).
Even though I still enjoy using /usr/local instead (far more practical for
exporting via NFS), the decision about adding the /usr/local hierarchy should
be left to the user.
Recommendation: remove lines 45,46 and the corresponding lines for hpux11.

[I also think that the CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS (CPPFLAGS containing the
"-I" include paths and "-D" definitions) should be separated as with
most packages using "configure".
Hence line 24 of Makefile.in should be changed from
CFLAGS=@CFLAGS@ $(PATHS) @DEFS@
CFLAGS=@CFLAGS@ @CPPFLAGS@ $(PATHS) @DEFS@
"configure" itself does handle CPPFLAGS.]

In the install target the "install" command (or replacement, whatever might be
found by configure) is used with the "-d" flag to create subdirectories.
This is not portable and maybe only available with gnu-install.
Other install programs, like the one delivered with HP-UX, or the bsdinst
script do not understand the "-d" flag and either use the "mkdirhier"
script/command or "mkinstalldirs" or "mkdir" the hierarchy themself.
As far as I understand, bsdinst and mkdirhier are supplied with X11, so
licensing should be no problem, mkinstalldirs is in the public domain
(according to the comment in src/helpers/mkdir.sh, the script used by
Apache). [This list of "install" replacements is for sure not complete :-)]

Best regards,
	Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/