OpenSSH-2.1: FROM in 'w' empty?

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu May 25 21:55:26 EST 2000

> Pekka, what undocumented feature is that?  The line that you replace
> below is (mostly; see below) an incredibly common Bourne shell idiom.

I'm not intimate with sh syntax, so I don't really know, but COMPAT file
with bash2 states the following:
----
1.  Bash now uses a new quoting syntax, $"...", to do locale-specific
    string translation.  Users who have relied on the (undocumented)
    behavior of bash-1.14 will have to change their scripts.  For
    instance, if you are doing something like this to get the value of
    a variable whose name is the value of a second variable:

        eval var2=$"$var1"

    you will have to change to a different syntax.

    This capability is directly supported by bash-2.0:

        var2=${!var1}

    This alternate syntax will work portably between bash-1.14 and bash-2.0:

        eval var2=\$${var1}
----

> : I suspect this change will break a lot of other systems.  Remember there
> : are still machines out there that don't understand the $(command) syntax
> : (my stock Solaris with /bin/sh is one of them).
> :
> : Is there another way to fix this and preserve the use of backticks?
>
> Tom, i don't see any $() expression in the above change.  What are you
> referring to?

OpenSSH-2.0beta used internal autoconf macros to do this stuff.  It
worked.  I don't see why ossh's own aclocal.m4 stuff had to be defined
anyway.  Perhaps there's some reason for it, but I sure can't figure it
out. :)

--
Pekka Savola                    "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Pekka.Savola at netcore.fi          not those you stumble over and fall"