IRIX6 experience

Bas van der Vlies basv at sara.nl
Fri May 26 23:45:41 EST 2000

Hello,

 I have just compiled openssh version 2.1.0p2 n irix 6.5.5 an encounterd
the following 'problem'.
 On IRIX there are 3 abi's (Application Binary Interface).

  o32) The old 32-bit ABI which was standard on IRIX 5 systems
  n64)  The 64-bit ABI
  n32) The new high performance 32-bit ABI

 On IRIX the libraries are installed as follows:
   /usr/lib)       For the  o32 libraries
   /usr/lib32)   For the  n32 libraries (is usual the default)
   /usr/lib64)   For the 64 libraries

 With this as background many people install the libraries for IRIX in
/usr/local  as follows:
    /usr/local/lib
   /usr/local/lib32
   /usr/local/lib64

 I encounterd the following problems:
  -) The LDFLAGS was wrong for my system, must be /usr/local/lib32

  -) --with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/ssl doesn't find ssl because the
libraries are
       in /usr/local/ssl/lib32 instead of /usr/local/ssl/lib.

   This was my experience with compiling the openssh software. I used
the native CC-compiler
   from SGI.

                                Regards