bug in documentation for "Protocol" option

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Wed Nov 8 08:20:13 EST 2000

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, joel w. reed wrote:
> ssh.1 says
>
>  Protocol Specifies the protocol versions ssh should support in order of
>              preference.  The possible values are ``1'' and ``2''. Multiple
>              versions must be comma-separated.  The default is ``1,2''. This
>              means that ssh tries version 1 and falls back to version 2 if
>              version 1 is not available.
>
> but /etc/ssh/ssh_config shows the default for Protocol as...
>
> #   Port 22
> #   Protocol 2,1
> #   Cipher blowfish
>
> one of the above should be fixed.

Both are correct.

ssh uses Protocol 1 by default if nothing else is defined.  What's written
_commented out_ in ssh_config is of no consequence; default Cipher isn't
blowfish either, etc..

If you uncomment the line there, it obviously changes the default ...

Pekka.Savola at netcore.fi      not those you stumble over and fall"