bug in documentation for "Protocol" option

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Wed Nov 8 10:30:08 EST 2000

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Rob Hagopian wrote:
> #   IdentityFile ~/.ssh/identity
> #   EscapeChar ~
> #   Port 22
>
> and most of the others which are indeed the defaults as described in the
> man page... I can't think of too many non-default settings that would
> qualify as "probably want to use" for these...

No, and that's why there are the defaults there for those.

Sometimes I use settings like:
---
Host *
        ForwardAgent no
        ForwardX11 yes
        FallBackToRsh no
        Protocol 2,1
        Cipher blowfish
        Ciphers arcfour,blowfish-cbc
---
[ good for heavy traffic because arcfour is the fastest algorithm ]

*Authentication, Cipher*, Protocol etc. options are ones you usually want
to change.  Having them as defaults has it's good and bad points,
obviously.

> How about a section in the default ssh*_config that has all of the
> settings and their default values, all commented out, as a quick reference
> for people? It's a lot easier than cross checking the man page for each
> setting...

Committing to this would get you yet another place to keep track of
these...

Pekka.Savola at netcore.fi      not those you stumble over and fall"