Various platforms

J.P. King jpk28 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Wed Oct 4 03:25:08 EST 2000

Hello,

I've been compiling OpenSSH up on just about every platform that I can
get my hands on.  I am not certain of the best way of building my
'fixes' into the source tree, not least of all since I didn't worry about
#ifdef's or the configure scripts.  However hopefully this will be of use
to you.  This is all for openssh-2.2.0p1 compiled alongside
openssl-0.9.5a and zlib-1.1.3.

Under HP-UX
===========

uname -smr
HP-UX A.09.03 9000/735

There is no seteuid or setreuid, but there is a setresuid, so
using your model in bsd-misc.c, I did:

-----------
#if !defined(HAVE_SETEUID) && defined(HAVE_SETREUID)
int seteuid(uid_t euid)
{
        return(setreuid(-1,euid));
}
#endif /* !defined(HAVE_SETEUID) && defined(HAVE_SETREUID) */
/* JPK */
int seteuid(uid_t euid)
{
        return(setresuid(-1,euid,-1));
}
-----------

This appears to be correct based on the documentation, and appears to
work.

Also under the same version of HP-UX, you use RLIMIT_CORE, however
this isn't defined in the include files except in <sys/resource.h>,
and even then only for _KERNEL.  My kludge was to copy the correct
entry from that header file into ssh.c.

The resultant statically linked binary appears to work for HP-UX 9
and HP-UX 10.  I have not tested the compile except on HP-UX 9.

Under SunOS
===========

This compiles with lots of warnings, but I just realised that my
patches were to OpenSSL, so I'll generate a report for them.  Again
it appears to work with
uname -smr
SunOS 4.1.3_U1 sun4c

Under Tru64
===========

This wouldn't compile under Compaq's compiler, although according to someone
from the comp.security.ssh newsgroup:

: We had a similar problem at 5.0A, and solved by installing the latest
: compiler version, available at http://tru64unix.compaq.com/tools.html
:
: I believe I also saw the claim that the most recent patchkit
: solved the problem. http://www.support.compaq.com/patches/index.html
: for that.

I haven't had a chance to test this yet.

It compiled fine with gcc 2.7.2.3 - I would have used 2.95.x, but that
doesn't compile cleanly on the machine, and I didn't bother compiling 2.95.x
with gcc2.7.2.3, since I wanted OpenSSH, not gcc.  :-)

Others
======

In case you are interested, I've also compiled it up under Irix, Solaris,
Linux, and will be compiling it up for various *BSDs and MacOS X, the
latter being the only one that might cause grief.

If I have managed to miss out some salient point then I'm sorry, just prod me
and I'll tell you whatever I can.

Cheers,

Julian
--
Julian King
Computer Officer, University of Cambridge, Unix Support