Various platforms

Kevin Steves stevesk at sweden.hp.com
Tue Oct 10 07:57:03 EST 2000

On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, J.P. King wrote:
: Not my machines, and it avoids the purpose of what I am doing.  I am
: compiling a CD of clients for every platform that I can - we are
: upgrading from using ssh1.2.27 to OpenSSH, not least because of the
: SSH1 and SSH2 support.

But isn't one of your goals security?  You can build an ssh that works
on 9.X if needed, but I'd recommend shipping a more modern build as
well.

: I am compiling on the oldest variants of platforms I can, and testing
: on more recent versions to make sure that they still work.  I am
: compiling them statically, at least where the OS doesn't fight me
: hard enough to prevent this.

9.03 libc is ancient and I wouldn't want to use it in a security
application.

: Sounds good, I will try to use that if I need to recompile.  I am somewhat
: wary about pulling in more things than I need, in case one of the other
: things upsets the applecart so to speak.
:
: I was hoping that OpenSSH could be made aware of these aspects in some
: fashion, such that when I compile a future version this problem doesn't
: arise.

setresuid() is an HP-only thing and I don't really want to add detection
for it.