OpenSSH 2.2.0p1 doesn't detect OpenSSL

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu Oct 12 05:57:36 EST 2000

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, William Caban wrote:
> I compile/install OpenSSL 0.9.6.  The installation was done using prefix
> /usr/local/ssl.  I test the binaries and they are working fine. Then,
> when I try to configure the Openssh
>
>     ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/ssl  --with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/ssl
>
> or other options, I just get the message:
>
>     configure: error: Could not find working SSLeay / OpenSSL libraries,
> please install

I assume the old version of OpenSSL you had installed is pre-0.9.5a.

When you use --with-ssl-dir in OpenSSL, it'll first look at the standard
directories, not the one specified.  This has hit me a couple of times
when you have an older version of OpenSSL in e.g. /usr/local/lib etc. --
you _can't_ override that easily..

AFAIR the order was changed in post-2.2.0p1 snapshots.

Pekka.Savola at netcore.fi      not those you stumble over and fall"