[SUMMARY] openssh: ld: mismatched ABI

V. T. Mueller vtmue at sun2.ruf.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Oct 19 09:59:02 EST 2000

Original question:
-----------------

[..] What I am attempting to do is compiling openssh-2.2.0p1 on a C200
running 11.0 64bit.
During configure, ld exits from building a test program stating:
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: /opt/openssl/lib/libcrypto.a: Not a valid library
(invalid magic number). Possibly a 64-bit PA archive library (Mismatched
ABI). [..]

Solution:
--------

Many thanks to Albert C. Smith who pointed me in the right
direction. After he told me to have an eye on cc rather than on ld I made
my way to a working openssh.

The following suggestion may be extremely quick n´ dirty since I´m new to
both openssh as well as 64bit HP-UX. Anyways, it works for me ;)

Most of all, only ssh is running, sshd has *serious* problems for which
I´ll contact it´s authors.

o get the latest openssh *portable* source from www.openssh.org
o have recent zlib and openssl libraries already installed
o in configure, lines 1612 and 1646 (as of 2.2.0p1) change
  LIBS="-lz  $LIBS"
  LIBS="$LIBS -lz"
  and in lines 1705 and 1739 change
  LIBS="-lnsl  $LIBS"
  LIBS="$LIBS -lnsl"
o run
  CC="cc +DA2.0W" CFLAGS=-I/opt/zlib/include CPPFLAGS="-L/usr/lib/pa20_64\
  -L/usr/lib -L/opt/zlib/lib -L/opt/openssl/lib" LIBS=$CPPFLAGS \
  ./configure --without-pam --prefix=/opt/openssh --with-pid-dir=/var/run \
  --with-ipv4-default --with-ssl-dir=/opt/openssl/lib && make && make \
  install

Kind regards,
Volker

--
V. T. Mueller      UCC Freiburg, Germany     vtmue (at) uni-freiburg.de

                  "It is salutary to train oneself to be no more
                   affected by censure than by praise."
                                                    W. Somerset Maugham