FW: unable to install openssh 2.1.1.p4

Matt Wolinski mwolinski at MimEcom.com
Sat Sep 2 05:18:28 EST 2000

My $LD_LIBRARY_PATH does include the "/usr/local/ssl/lib" directory and I
have been passing the configure script my ssl directory.

./configure --with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/ssl

Also, I am running Solaris 7 on a Sparc.  Thank you very much for all of
your suggestions,

-Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: James Oden [mailto:joden at eworld.wox.org]
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2000 11:03 AM
To: Matt Wolinski
Subject: Re: unable to install openssh 2.1.1.p4

> Hello,
>
> I am having a problem running the configure for my openssh install
> (version 2.1.1p4).  I have installed a new version of openssl (0.9.5a).
> This is the error I am receiving:
>
> checking for login in -lbsd... no
> checking for daemon... no
> checking for daemon in -lbsd... no
> checking for getpagesize... yes
> checking whether snprintf correctly terminates long strings... yes
> checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
> checking for pam_getenvlist... yes
> checking whether pam_strerror takes only one argument... no
> checking for OpenSSL directory... configure: error: Could not find
> working SSLeay / OpenSSL libraries, please install
>

> I have read several archived messages about similar problems and found
> no solution.  I tried installing symlinks in /usr/local/lib for both
> libcrypto.a and libssl.a pointing to my /usr/local/ssl/lib directory.  I
> also tried installing symlinks in the /usr/local/ssl for both
> libraries.  Here is the last 50 or so lines from my config.log.

Matt,

Have you tried to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH?  For instance if your ssl lived
in /opt/ssl/lib, and your were running bash or ksh you could type:

	export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/ssl/lib

or if it already is setup to something:

	export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/opt/ssl/lib

conversly, the configure file has an option to say where ssl is installed:

	./configure --with-ssl-dir=/opt/ssl

Assuming that is of course assuming that ssl is under /opt/ssl

Cheers...james