-1 and friends

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sat Sep 9 09:46:57 EST 2000

Yo All!

Well I work on a diverse number of OS's with a diverse number of
clients.  Some use F-Secure, SecureCRT, PuTTY, SSH.COM. OpenSSH, etc.
with a wide variety of versions between each, some from source,
some from rpms, etc...  Basically a lot of legacy stuff that no one
has the time to update.

In fact I am working on a couple of OpenSSH config problems in the
last few days.  Sometimes we want to use SSH2 for the better antispoofing
and sometimes SSH1 for scp compatibility and sometimes we have
to change between versions to use RSA and DSA keys and do it from scripts.

Having -1 and -2 would make life a lot easier, if only for testing
purposes.  Even a "-o [option]" with scp would be nice.  A lot of
these different products only interoperate in certain modes so I
have to try a lot of things.

I would also like to argue for more orthogonality between sch, ssh and
sshd.  Why do you turn on verbosity and debugging with "-v" in scp
and ssh, but use "-d" with sshd?  Why do you select a port with
scp and sshd with "-P port" but with "-p port" on sshd?

My poor little brain has enough to remember without all these
changes that make little difference?  And having to muck with
config files leaves a lot of mess behind.

RGDS
GARY
Gary E. Miller Rellim 20340 Empire Ave, Suite E-3, Bend, OR 97701
	gem at rellim.com  Tel:+1(541)382-8588 Fax: +1(541)382-8676