-1 and friends

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Sat Sep 9 11:19:57 EST 2000

At 3:46 PM -0700 9/8/00, Gary E. Miller wrote:
>I would also like to argue for more orthogonality between scp,
>ssh and sshd.

I suspect you did not want to ask for "more orthogonality"...

>Why do you turn on verbosity and debugging with "-v" in scp
>and ssh, but use "-d" with sshd?  Why do you select a port with
>scp and sshd with "-P port" but with "-p port" on sshd?

some of this is because of what the different commands do.

scp is patterned after cp, and thus it pretty much has to
have -r as "recursive" and -p as "preserve".  Thus, you
would really irritate people if you decided to use '-p'
to select a port number.  It would be more consistent to
use -P for port, because cp does not use -P for anything.

sshd is probably mimicing assorted other system daemons,
which are much more likely to use -p to select a port
instead of -P.  (that's off the top of my head, I haven't
actually checked all possible system daemons to see if
that is strictly true).  Thus, it probably IS more
consistent for sshd to use -p.

ssh itself is trying to look like rsh.  So, it is more
important for it's options to match rsh's options than
for them to match scp's options.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad at eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer          or  drosih at rpi.edu