-1 and friends

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sat Sep 9 12:14:01 EST 2000

Yo Garance!

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> At 3:46 PM -0700 9/8/00, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> >I would also like to argue for more orthogonality between scp,
> >ssh and sshd.
>
> I suspect you did not want to ask for "more orthogonality"...
Yes I did.  This is the lingo CPU designers us when they mean that
they want a class of instructions to look similar.

> >Why do you turn on verbosity and debugging with "-v" in scp
> >and ssh, but use "-d" with sshd?  Why do you select a port with
> >scp and sshd with "-P port" but with "-p port" on sshd?
>
> some of this is because of what the different commands do.
But we can do better than the old ways!

Well how about for all of scp, ssh and sshd:
	-1 conflicts with nothing and looks like SSH.com
	-2 conflicts with nothing and looks like SSH.com
	-d conflicts with nothing and turns on debug stuff
	-P [port] to set the port to use
	-o [options] to set other options

All the other stuff could stay for back compatibility.

RGDS
GARY
Gary E. Miller Rellim 20340 Empire Ave, Suite E-3, Bend, OR 97701
	gem at rellim.com  Tel:+1(541)382-8588 Fax: +1(541)382-8676