-1 and friends

Markus Friedl markus.friedl at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Sat Sep 9 21:27:50 EST 2000

On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 03:46:57PM -0700, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> Having -1 and -2 would make life a lot easier, if only for testing
> purposes.  Even a "-o [option]" with scp would be nice.  A lot of
> these different products only interoperate in certain modes so I
> have to try a lot of things.

if you switch between protocols all the time, then editing .ssh/config
is probably the 'right thing'. if you want to switch occasionally, then
it's easy to type -o protocol=2

> I would also like to argue for more orthogonality between sch, ssh and
> sshd.  Why do you turn on verbosity and debugging with "-v" in scp
> and ssh, but use "-d" with sshd?  Why do you select a port with
> scp and sshd with "-P port" but with "-p port" on sshd?

history and compatibility with rcp.

but there are much more imporant things todo with openssh
than adding millions of cmdline options.

imho, scp needs only -o and the options from rcp. everything
else can be removed.

-markus