CryptoCard patch

Igmar Palsenberg i.palsenberg at jdimedia.nl
Fri Sep 15 04:32:53 EST 2000

On 14 Sep 2000, erich wrote:

>> I am not particularly keen on putting code into OpenSSH to support
>> proprietary authentication technologies.
>
> CryptoCard is absolutely not in any way a proprietary authentication
> technology.  It is a plain and simple DES ECB encryption of the input,
> using a key which is stored in the device.  The first 4 bytes of the
> output are then displayed in hex.

The current implementation is a ANSI X9.9, and is a supported mode on
almost all hardware tokens.

Specific mode for tokens are not supported, and probably will never, since
all manufacturers refuse to give me any information.

>> In fact, I have also hired someone
>> to write a CryptoCard emulator for the Palm Pilot, and the resulting
>> code will also be under GPL.  Contrast this with RSA, which is in fact
>> a proprietary authentication technology, and which OpenSSH supports by
>> default.

>I was mistaken about Cryptocard, my apologies. Calling RSA proprietary
>is a drawing a bit of a long bow though.

>> In any case, changes to the protocol (which this is) should be sent
>> via the OpenBSD maintainers. I doubt they would accept the patch in its
>> current form - it uses functions only present in the portable version.

Which one ?? It isn't using anything weard as far is I can see.

>> Who can I talk to about this?  Should I send it to the OpenBSD core
>> team?

> There are several on the list, otherwise you can contact them direct at
> openssh at openbsd.org.

I've contacted them, but no reply unfortunately.

> Regards,
> Damien Miller

	Regards,

		Igmar