CryptoCard patch

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Wed Sep 20 12:14:58 EST 2000

On 19 Sep 2000, erich wrote:

> > There are several on the list, otherwise you can contact them direct at
> > openssh at openbsd.org.
>
> I sent email to that list.  I'm not on this mailing list, so I
> couldn't participate in any discussion.  I'm willing to have this
> thing modified in any way necessary to have it included in the
> official distribution.
>
> I'm going to be doing a lot of hiring contractors to do open source
> work, although it will be very frustrating if I can't get stuff put
> back into the distributions.  I could have bought the commercial
> F-secure server, which already has CryptoCard support built in, but
> instead I thought I would spend the money on hiring someone to put it
> into the superior open source product.  You can imagine that I am a
> little frustrated that my contribution was rejected.

I can understand why you feel that way, but appreciate our position:
The portable version is just that - a port of OpenSSH as released by
the OpenBSD team to other operating systems. The only new features
relate to correct operation on the target systems: entropy collection,
native authentication, etc.

Unless we want multiple, incompatible versions (which we don't), it
makes more sense for the changes to happen at the upstream end. A
further complicating factor is the fact that SSH2 is currently in the
standardisation process (though I think interactive auth is already
covered by the drafts).

If you want to sponsor further work on OpenSSH (and we certainly hope
that you do!), you would be well advised to contact Markus Friedl
<markus.friedl at informatik.uni-erlangen.de> before you start to determine
the best way to work together. He may even be willing to do the
development himself - Markus has done more work on OpenSSH than anyone
else.

-d