CryptoCard patch

erich hh at sidereal.kz
Wed Sep 20 12:27:12 EST 2000

> I can understand why you feel that way, but appreciate our position:
> The portable version is just that - a port of OpenSSH as released by
> the OpenBSD team to other operating systems. The only new features
> relate to correct operation on the target systems: entropy collection,
> native authentication, etc.

Yes, I understand that, and when our system launches, it will be
running under OpenBSD, so I'll want to have CryptoCard support in the
"native" OpenSSH anyway.

> Unless we want multiple, incompatible versions (which we don't), it

Yes, multiple incompatible versions would be very bad.  It will also
be bad if there are branches in the tree, particularly silly branches
like a CryptoCard branch.

> If you want to sponsor further work on OpenSSH (and we certainly
> hope that you do!), you would be well advised to contact Markus
> Friedl <markus.friedl at informatik.uni-erlangen.de> before you start
> to determine the best way to work together. He may even be willing
> to do the development himself - Markus has done more work on OpenSSH
> than anyone else.

I very much want to sponsor further work on OpenSSH (and also
OpenBSD), and I have a few more features that I need for myself, which
will also be beneficial to others.  The #1 of these projects would be
CryptoCard support in the SSH2 protocol.  I would also like to sponsor
someone to write a free Windows implementation of SSH2, perhaps based
on PuTTY (which seems like quite a good program).

I will contact Markus.  I would be very very happy to tell my
contractor, and Markus, "I want CryptoCard support in OpenSSH,
protocols SSH1 and SSH2.  Markus, please tell Igmar what needs to be
done.  Igmar, please send me the bill.  Markus, please put Igmar's
code into your release."

I have CC:'ed this to Markus and Igmar.

Thanks,