trouble logging out when using protocol version 2

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu Sep 28 05:03:18 EST 2000

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Joe Wells wrote:

> Dear OpenSSH gurus,
>
> My machine is running Red Hat Linux 6.1 and has installed all of the
> 6.binary rpms generated from the source rpms openssh-2.2.0p1-2.src.rpm
> 6.and openssl-0.9.5a-3.src.rpm.
>
> When I use protocol version 2 (by specifying "Protocol 2,1" in
> ~/.ssh/config), I can establish connections properly, but they do not
> shut down properly.  When I run a remote command by "ssh REMOTE-HOST
> REMOTE-COMMAND", I see the output from REMOTE-COMMAND and then ssh
> hangs and does nothing forever.  I can interrupt it by pressing
> Control-C (the "intr" character).  I have enclosed a script of running
> "ssh -v REMOTE-HOST REMOTE-COMMAND" below to illustrate this.  The
> last 5 lines of this script happen only after I press Control-C.  When
> I create a remote login session with "ssh REMOTE-HOST", ssh hangs
> after I try to log out.  For about thirty seconds, Control-C and
> Control-\ (the "quit" character) only cause "^C" and "^\" to be
> echoed.  Then pressing either will successfully interrupt ssh.

This is probably related to the following:

Conditions:

 1) SSH2 is being used, and
 2) a command is left to run in background when exiting

then 'logout' will freeze.

For example,

1) ssh other.host
2) tail -f /var/log/messages &
3) exit
 [ freeze if Protocol 2 is being used ]

The server here is 2.2.0p1 (latest snapshot) - RHL62, clients 2.1.1p4 (RHL
and FreeBSD).

Pekka.Savola at netcore.fi      not those you stumble over and fall"