$HOME/.shosts and setegid()

Luzian Scherrer luzian.scherrer at zi.unizh.ch
Wed Apr 11 18:37:41 EST 2001

Hello,

The ssh deamon from OpenSSH_2.5.2p2 first does a seteuid(uid) and then
stat($HOME/.shosts) to check whether a .shosts file is there. This
seems to be a problem when homedirectories are only accessible "by
group permission"; for example in the following (as I guess quite
common) case:

  drwxr-x--- root   mygroup  512 Apr 10 12:09 mygroup

And my personal homedirectory would now be one level below:

  /home/mygroup/myhome

So my question: is there a particular reason that setegid() and
initgroups() are not used?

Regards,
-Luzian
--
University of Zurich, Centre for Computing Services
Luzian Scherrer <luzian.scherrer at zi.unizh.ch>