Variable path to ssh_prng_cmds?

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Wed Apr 11 22:51:46 EST 2001

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 Armin.Kunaschik at varetis.de wrote:

> >You are better off using PRNGd[1] rather than portable OpenSSH's
> >own RNG. It is more secure, reduces your system load and is more
> >configurable.
> I'm not sure if I understand this. I have checked PRNGd out... it uses the
> same scheme (output from various system commands) to get random
> bytes. The should causes the same amount of system load!?

It's less load because it's a long-lived process.  Which means it can
gather entropy across ssh/sshd startup and shutdown.  Which means you get
higher quality entropy without having the same 15 commands spawned at the
begining of each session.

> I don't know if it's more secure... but the amount of work is higher,
> especially in a heterogenous environment. Therefore I would prefer
> the buildin feature...
> Are there any plans to include the PRNGd functionality into OpenSSH?

PRNGd was drived from OpenSSH portable work, but no it will not merge back
into OpenSSH.  Sure it is.  You can run PRNGd as a normal user if you
wish.  And you avoid spawing off random commands as root or as a setuid
user (ssh).

- Ben