Bad packet length error

Jim Seymour jseymour at LinxNet.com
Tue Apr 24 22:09:17 EST 2001

> Hello,
>
> I just built openssh-2.5.2p2 on an HP running HP-UX 11.00.  Seems now
> when I try and connect to other HP's running ssh with version
> openssh-2.3.0p1 (using protocol version 2), I'm getting disconnected
> because of a "Bad packet length" error:
[snip]

Heh.  Funny you should mention that.  After finding out here what the
"Disabling protocol version 2. Could not load host key" problem was
all about (thanks, guys!), I just tried re-installing 2.5.2p2 on one
of my machines this morning.  As with your experience: incoming from a
box running 2.3.0p1 works fine, outgoing to that same 2.3.0p1 from the
upgraded 2.5.2p2 results:

    $ ssh -2 nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
     xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xxx xx xx
     Disconnecting: Bad packet length -112560745.

Back to 2.3.0p1 for the moment...

Regards,
Jim
--
Jim Seymour                  | PGP Public Key available at:
jseymour at jimsun.LinxNet.com  | http://www.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/pks-commands.html