Possible bug

Carl Thompson cet at carlthompson.net
Wed Aug 1 13:30:40 EST 2001

Hello,

       I have found what I believe to be a bug in OpenSSH.  I have tested
versions 2.1.1 and 2.5.2p2 only.  Please CC me on any responses as I am
not subscribed to the mailing list.  (Is this address the proper one for
reporting bugs?)

When using the "-N" option to "ssh" to forward ports without running a
command, ssh terminates after only one connection to the forwarded
ports.  For example, if I want to forward local port 8080 to my web
server at home, I would use

     ssh -N -L 8080:localhost:80 carlthompson.net

However, after just one successful connection to local port 8080, ssh
terminates and the port is no longer redirected.

I believe the correct behavior should be that ssh continue to forward
connections until the program is explicitly terminated as is the case
when "-N" is not used.

Thank you,
Carl Thompson