Feature request

Pinter Jozsef pinterj at netposta.net
Fri Aug 3 06:18:15 EST 2001

Hello,

I have an idea, is this a good list for it? I hope
it won't be offtopic.

So... it would be nice, if you change the host resolver
code to this:  it should lookup MX records like mail
transport agents, but only if A record for host doesn't
present. Demonstration:

foo.org         MX 7  bigboy.foo.org
bigboy.foo.org  A     1.2.3.4
west.foo.org    MX 1  mail.fooisp.net
west.foo.org    MX 7  bigboy.foo.org
west.foo.org    A     1.2.3.6

1st case: ssh bigboy.foo.org
   only A record presents -> good

2nd case: ssh west.foo.org
   A record presents -> no MX lookup (compatibility) -> good

3rd case: ssh foo.org
   A record doesn't present -> MX lookup -> connect to bigboy
      -> short, comfortable, *cool*

If you don't like new things, let make it configurable, so the
user should decide about using this function in configuration
file of ssh client.

Thank for your attention,

--
Pinter uber alles