scp1 issue

Khaled Daham khaled at w-arts.com
Mon Aug 27 23:50:01 EST 2001

Hi.

I hope this is not entirely inappropriate, I have tried
comp.security.ssh but have not received any response, anyhow
I am wondering how scp1 really works, as far as I can tell it should be
quite straight forward, just send

version string
CMSG_SESSION_KEY
CMSG_USER
CMSG_AUTH_PASSWORD
CMSG_EXEC_CMD

And wait for SMSG_STDOUT_DATA until SMSG_EXITSTATUS.
I have read the scp.c code and and it more or less just starts
ssh with the command "scp -f file-to-get", however when I do that in a
little client i made it just hangs after sshd does its
server_init_dispatch()

debug1: session_new: init
debug1: session_new: session 0
debug1: Exec command 'scp -f .profile'
debug1: PAM establishing creds
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug1: fd 7 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: fd 7 IS O_NONBLOCK
debug1: fd 9 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: server_init_dispatch_13
debug1: server_init_dispatch_15

--- This is with my client and here it stops, additional lines below is
with scp that comes with OpenSSH ---

debug1: tvp!=NULL kid 0 mili 10
debug1: Received SIGCHLD.
debug1: tvp!=NULL kid 1 mili 100
debug1: End of interactive session; stdin 3, stdout (read 2710, sent 2710),
stderr 338 bytes.
debug1: Command exited with status 0.
debug1: Received exit confirmation.
Closing connection to 127.0.0.1

Now any other command works, like if i do cat/ls or anything i get data
back in STDOUT_DATA packets, so I am wondering if scp executed on the
remote side is waiting for something, but I can not figure out what, no
channels or anything is invoked as far as I can see in the OpenSSH code.

Any suggestions ?

/Khaled Daham, w.arts
Mail:    khaled at w-arts.com
Cell:    +46-70-6785492