Q: patch for logging rsa-fingerprint on login/logout?

Ph. Marek marek at bmlv.gv.at
Thu Aug 30 22:18:30 EST 2001

Hello everybody!

I'm currently looking for a patch to openssh which allows logging of the
fingerprint on rsa2-based authentification.
I've had a look at the FAQ, and a view at the source.

As I couldn't find a patch for my wish, I'm telling what I thought.
Suggestions welcome (a patch moreso :-)

I've started to modify login_write() which seems the best point for this.
BUT: how can I get the fingerprint cleanly into that?
I think the cleanest version would be to add two fields to login_info:
- authenticate-type (rsa, rhosts, rh-rsa, dsa, password, ...)
- authenticate-info (fingerprint of key)

But that means some work, as I have to change every authenticate-function
to fill in these fields.

Is there any architectural better solution for that?
Or maybe there are volunteers? (at least for part of the work ;-)

Regards,

Phil