hang on exit bug under Linux

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Tue Dec 11 09:02:52 EST 2001

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Michael wrote:
[..]
> Your response requesting me to write the code is something I can't
> do. I only have access to Linux boxes and have no clue (and would not
> presume to know) what the implications are for sun, aix, hp,
> bsd, etc... Closing off discussion on the issue won't fix it either.
> I don't mean to be a pest, but I consider openssh to be an excellent
> tool that does a lot to promote security in general and security at
> our site in particular. I'd like to see it work well. It seems to
> have one glaring flaw this one glaring flaw that needs to be fixed to
> make it generally acceptable as a replacement for virtually all other
> remote shell access programs. Saying that rsh is broken also simply
> doesnt' justify why a program under active development by a very
> bright group of people has to be broken also.

First off, it was my response.  Not Markus'.

Second off, this is part of the problem.  We have *SOO* many (excuse my
language) fucking people whining about a bug in the portable release, but
no one willing to lend us a hand on solving the bug instead of covering
it up.

I am a very mellow person, but this is just starting to bug the living
shit out of me.  If for no other reason than I can't see a clear path to
fix this bug.

Which I guess is true for most of the portable team.  We have problems
that we can solve now.  And so I'm sure most of us have left this problem
on a backburner because we don't know the correct bug fix.  What we don't
want is another 'scp' gotcha 8 months later which requires us to dig far
enough back to figure out what patch may have triggered it.

So, no we are not leaving this because "We want to piss the crap out of
people."  Or ignoring that real issues exist.  We have pratical advice
to help work around, but we DO NOT WANT another bandaid that fixes the
symptoms leaving the bug to fester and pop up in another way (gawd, that
is what I'd expect to see Linus say, not me  <sigh>).

And like most I'm tired of arguing anything that is not a potental
solution.  Which is why this current thread is worthless as it provides no
TECHNICAL information that is USEFUL to any of us developers.

So don't take this wrong, but having the same topic came up every 2 months
with no addition new information information is as worthless as crying
wolves in a pack of wild dogs when no one has a shotgun.  =) We already
know they exists.

- Ben