hang on exit bug under Linux

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Tue Dec 11 12:47:38 EST 2001

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Ed Phillips wrote:

> Is this mailing list for code submissions only?  I got the impression when
> I joined this list that here is where problems should be reported - and
> that here is really the "only" place to report.  So, is it useless for
> anyone to make suggestions about something that needs fixing without
> submitting code?

openssh-unix-dev sure *isn't* a place to go over the same damn
(hang on exit, -c none) ground over and over.

The time for complaining about the "hang on exit" passed six months
ago - everyone knows about it and has stated their positions. We know
how to recreate it at whim and we have tried just about all non-horrid
ways of fixing it.

As we have said (over and over), if people really want to fix the problem
they would be well advised to determine why it only appears on some OSs.
e.g. OpenBSD doesn't have the problem. What aspect of kernel fd semantics
allows OpenBSD to avoid the problem?

-d