ssh host echo bla | echo bla

Dan Astoorian djast at cs.toronto.edu
Tue Dec 18 05:06:16 EST 2001

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 12:55:20 EST, Ed Phillips writes:
> It's even worse with csh (my first test was tcsh):
>
> polycut:~> csh -f
> polycut.nss.udel.edu% ssh ldap1 echo bla | echo bla
> bla
> polycut.nss.udel.edu% Reset tty pgrp from 13749 to 13747
> <..hang..>

This is a known bogosity with csh builtins (see Tom Christiansen's
classic article "Csh Programming Considered Harmful" for specifics).
Don't pipe stuff to builtins... or, if you do, don't expect consistent
behaviour.

You may wish to try piping to "/bin/echo" rather than "echo".  Or even
to "/bin/true", if you're just looking for a command which ignores
stdin--I haven't figured out exactly what it is you're trying to test.

--
Dan Astoorian               People shouldn't think that it's better to have
Sysadmin, CSLab             loved and lost than never loved at all.  It's