ssh host echo bla | echo bla

Ed Phillips ed at UDel.Edu
Tue Dec 18 05:34:50 EST 2001

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Dan Astoorian wrote:

> Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:06:16 -0500
> From: Dan Astoorian <djast at cs.toronto.edu>
> To: Ed Phillips <ed at UDel.Edu>
> Cc: mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org,
>      OpenSSH Development <openssh-unix-dev at mindrot.org>
> Subject: Re: ssh host echo bla | echo bla
>
> On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 12:55:20 EST, Ed Phillips writes:
> > It's even worse with csh (my first test was tcsh):
> >
> > polycut:~> csh -f
> > polycut.nss.udel.edu% ssh ldap1 echo bla | echo bla
> > bla
> > polycut.nss.udel.edu% Reset tty pgrp from 13749 to 13747
> > <..hang..>
>
> This is a known bogosity with csh builtins (see Tom Christiansen's
> classic article "Csh Programming Considered Harmful" for specifics).
> Don't pipe stuff to builtins... or, if you do, don't expect consistent
> behaviour.

Duh... I didn't even think that "echo" might be a built-in... it works
as expected like this:

polycut:~> ssh ldap1 echo bla | /bin/echo bla
bla
polycut:~>

> You may wish to try piping to "/bin/echo" rather than "echo".  Or even
> to "/bin/true", if you're just looking for a command which ignores
> stdin--I haven't figured out exactly what it is you're trying to test.

I'm not what Markus is trying to test either... I was just trying to
submit results from my systems to be helpful.

Thanks,

	Ed

Ed Phillips <ed at udel.edu> University of Delaware (302) 831-6082
Systems Programmer III, Network and Systems Services
finger -l ed at polycut.nss.udel.edu for PGP public key