reversing the roles of ssh and sshd

Dan Kaminsky dan at doxpara.com
Sun Dec 30 05:31:08 EST 2001

Clark--

    It's much better to use remote port forwards for a job like this.
Essentially, you have the ssh client on your firewalled machine remote port
forward that machine's ssh server.  So, for example:

    firewalled$ ssh -R2022:127.0.0.1:22 dummyuser at adminsite
    adminsite$ ssh -o "HostKeyAlias firewalled" user at 127.0.0.1 -p 2022

    Of course, there's the question of how to trigger the firewalled host's
SSHing into your admin box.  Email, crontabs, on-site triggering(i.e. you
call someone and say "please go to this webpage if you want me to fix your
machine), or just leaving the link up at all times are viable options.

--Dan