DG/UX R4.20MU05 port of 2.3.0p1

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Thu Feb 1 07:17:37 EST 2001

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, David Dulek wrote:

> DG/UX does not impliment the regcomp, regexec functions.  They suggest using
> regex and regcmp.  The only place that I see that regexec and regcomp are
> used is in compat.c.  Can someone help me out with the difference between
> regex and regexec and the differences between regcmp and regex.  This should
> also help any other OS that does not have regexec.

regexec/regcomp is the POSIX form of regex/regcmp.

Take from INSTALL from OpenSSH portable:
[..]
pcre (POSIX Regular Expression library):
ftp://ftp.cus.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programs/pcre/

Most platforms do not required this.  However older 4.3 BSD do not
have a posix regex library.
[..]

I added supported for pcre (GNU rx works with a tweak or two) after the
change to compat.c was done to allow NeXT to compile.

- Ben