Compiled and running on NCR SVR4 UNIX (MP-RAS)

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Mon Feb 12 19:22:41 EST 2001

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Don Bragg wrote:

> To whomever is interested, I have compiled and am running OpenSSH under
> NCR UNIX using the following procedure:
>
> 1.  Compile and install zlib to the default location.
>      gunzip zlib*.gz
>      tar -xvfo zlib*tar
>      cd zlib-*
>      ./configure
>      make
>      make install
>
> 2.  Compile and install openssl to the default location.
>      gunzip openssl*.gz
>      tar -xvfo openssl*tar
>      cd openssl-*
>      ./Configure -I/usr/include -lc89 ncr-scde
>      make
>      make test
>      make install
>
> 3.  Modify, compile, and install openssh as below:
>
>     a. gunzip openssh*.gz
>     b. tar -xvfo openssh*.tar
>     c. cd openssh*
>     d. Make the following changes to the "configure" file for OpenSSH:
>
>        Search for the final occurence of "sysv".  Change the "LIBS"
> field
>        to the following:
>
>        LIBS="$LIBS -lc89 -lnsl -lgen -lsocket"

I think it would be better to add in a *-ncr-sysv* section.  I'm unsure
what else uses the generic 'sysv'.  (Which I'll commit right now along
with the change to includes.h)

Can you compile without defining the 'host=' line?  Does the configure
system guess your system?  If so is it different then *-ncr-sysv*?

[..]
>     j. Edit the /etc/inet/inetd.conf file to include the following
line:

>        ssh     stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/sbin/sshd
> sshd -i

*PLEASE* don't encourage people to run sshd from inetd. =)

- Ben