cvs bulid breaks on slackware

Devon Bleak devon at admin2.gisnetworks.com
Wed Feb 14 05:04:53 EST 2001

before i do my shopping i'll just answer a few of the other questions:

re: the fox machine.  jordan sent an email to fox telling them about the
larger apache process, but not recommending a memory upgrade, just saying
"we'll keep a close watch on it to make sure that it doesn't become an
issue."  the memory IS going to become an issue.  maybe not today, maybe not
next week, but if fox does their job and promotes the movies and the
websites with the movies, it's going to become an issue very quickly and
pretty much without notice.  which makes 'keeping a close watch on it'
pretty pointless, especially considering the turnaround time it'd take to
get a memory upgrade for the machine.  IMO we need to hit 'em for it NOW,
before it's even a baby issue.

re: using the e450 as a db machine for miramax.  the e450 is best known for
its disk space and _amazing_ disk and network i/o.  the network i/o isn't so
much of a feature we'd want from a db machine as the disk space and i/o
performance.  large db's have to read large files every time someone wants
some info from 'em.  i think that the e450 will probably be better suited
for fox as a dedicated db machine, but if miramax wants to pay for it as a
dedicated db machine then i'm not going to complain.  miramax could probably
get away with a x86 machine with dual 800's, 2GB of ram, and some software
raid5'd disk space (we'd need at least 5 disks in the machine: 2 mirrored OS
drives, and 3+ 18GB raid5'd content drives, spread across at least 2 scsi
ultra2 channels).  the e450 would be total overkill for miramax to use as a
dedicated db machine.  as a shared machine, it just doesn't sound right,
especially if we'd have to tell fox.com they're going on a shared db
machine.  if jordan hasn't told miramax they're going on a shared db
machine, then there's really no damage done, as far as i can see.  we just
don't put anybody else on the e450 with 'em!

we might also consider putting paramount's mailgun stuff on the e450.  that
nt machine just doesn't cut the mustard (even marcus agrees with me that we
need to get that thing off of NT and onto something more stable and robust).

i'll have some part no.s and specs on that ram for you shortly.

devon