Name change

Mate Wierdl mw at moni.msci.memphis.edu
Sun Feb 18 14:56:52 EST 2001

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 09:47:28PM +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> I'd just stick to OpenSSH.  But then it's most likely upon Damien and
> Markus to decide whether they want to risk having lawyers upon their
> backs.

If I were them, I would not change the name at all.  But if they did,
try opensafesh or just opensafe for kicks.  But then again, somebody
would trademark this name too---one more reason to leave the old name.

Ylonen has to realize he is doing more damage to his co with his
trademark claim.  Paraphrasing Newton: just because he found a smooth
rock does not mean the rock is his.

A lawyer friend here tells me: the trademark case for `|grep -i ssh'
is rather weak for reasons already discussed in this list.  It does
not mean, though, that it cannot be dragged on for months.

It would be rather useful if the case went to court, and Ylonen lost.
It would discourage people in the future.

Mate