PATCH: Round 2: RH initscripts backward compatibility

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon Feb 19 12:43:14 EST 2001

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Jim Knoble wrote:

> Circa 2001-Feb-18 12:14:11 +0200 dixit Pekka Savola:
>
> : On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Jim Knoble wrote:
> : : +               echo -n $(localized $"Generating SSH1 RSA host key: ")
> : [among other lines]
> :
> : If this can't be done in an RH-compatible fashion, I think this should be
> : reverted to the old form 'echo -n "Generating SSH1 RSA host key: " for
> : clarity && maintainibility, removing all localization.
> :
> : It's not like there's any i18n work going on with OpenSSH at the moment
> : ;-)
>
> Pekka, you're the one who wanted localized strings with $"...".  I
> simply made them work everywhere.  I don't see anything wrong with them
> (except that, as you point out, there doesn't appear to be any actual
> localized text to replace the strings with...).

I don't really care too much about localization, but I do care if it looks
the same as a "downstream" copy if there aren't obvious reasons why it
shouldn't.

The complexity of the above sickens me:

echo -n $(localized $"Generating SSH1 RSA host key: ")

vs.

echo -n $"Generating SSH1 RSA host key: "

vs.

echo -n "Generating SSH1 RSA host key: "

With the first form, when someone edits the file to add something, I can
already see him forgetting the closing ')' etc.

--
Pekka Savola                  "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                    not those you stumble over and fall"