PATCH: Round 2: RH initscripts backward compatibility

Jim Knoble jmknoble at jmknoble.cx
Mon Feb 19 07:50:38 EST 2001

Circa 2001-Feb-18 12:14:11 +0200 dixit Pekka Savola:

: On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Jim Knoble wrote:
: : +               echo -n $(localized $"Generating SSH1 RSA host key: ")
: [among other lines]
:
: If this can't be done in an RH-compatible fashion, I think this should be
: reverted to the old form 'echo -n "Generating SSH1 RSA host key: " for
: clarity && maintainibility, removing all localization.
:
: It's not like there's any i18n work going on with OpenSSH at the moment
: ;-)

Pekka, you're the one who wanted localized strings with $"...".  I
simply made them work everywhere.  I don't see anything wrong with them
(except that, as you point out, there doesn't appear to be any actual
localized text to replace the strings with...).

If you prefer, i can rename the localized() function to something less
obvious, such as __().  Or if you don't want localiz(ed|able) strings,
perhaps this could be made even less complex.

I don't understand what you mean by "Red-Hat-compatible" ... it may
look a little different than most init.d scripts, but, as i've pointed
out before, it *already* looks a little different from most of them.

In fact, as it turns out, doing things properly sometimes looks a bit
different from what is implemented by Red Hat (or SuSE, or Caldera, or
TurboLinux, or Connectiva, or the Linux Router Project, or your
favorite unlisted distribution "vendor").  We should not be afraid to
do things properly even if they're slightly different from what the OS
vendor does.  It can provide good example to the vendor.  :)

--
jim knoble | jmknoble at jmknoble.cx | http://www.jmknoble.cx/