openssh wish list for 2.6.*

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Feb 21 03:11:20 EST 2001

Hi,

something that I'd like to see for the next major release is "build
OpenSSH without installing zlib and openssl".

That is, I have a source tree with the following subdirectories:

.../src/zlib-1.1.3/
       /openssl-0.9.6/
       /openssh_cvs/

and want "configure", run from openssh_cvs, to be able to find the zlib
and openssl trees in the directory "upstairs".

This is useful if you don't have any other software on the system that
uses openssl (no web servers or the like installed here) and do not want
to fill up your $prefix/ with lots of stuff that isn't actually used.

It works, kind of, right now, if I do the following:

- call configure with CFLAGS="-I../zlib-1.1.3" LDFLAGS="-L../zlib-1.1.3"

- change configure to include "../openssl-0.9.6" in the list of
  directories to search for -lcrypto

- change the resulting openbsd-compat/Makefile to "-I../../openssl-0.9.6"
  (configure puts "-I../openssl-0.9.6" in there, not knowing that it's
  a relative path, and thus failing).

So this is not something really pressing, but would save me some time
every time I run "autoconf"... and maybe others would benefit from it
as well.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering at physik.tu-muenchen.de