openssh wish list for 2.6.*

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Wed Feb 21 03:35:05 EST 2001

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Gert Doering wrote:

> Hi,
>
> something that I'd like to see for the next major release is "build
> OpenSSH without installing zlib and openssl".
>
> That is, I have a source tree with the following subdirectories:
>
> .../src/zlib-1.1.3/
>        /openssl-0.9.6/
>        /openssh_cvs/
>
> and want "configure", run from openssh_cvs, to be able to find the zlib
> and openssl trees in the directory "upstairs".

That's great until there is a 1.1.4 release of zlib  or a 0.9.7 release
of openssl.  Unless you can write the patch to account for such things
then I think you'll need to keep setting CFLAGS/LDFLAGS.  Also consider
if people have openssl-0.9.6 and openssl-1.0.0 .. Which one do we guess
is right?

I'm more in favor of the correct usage of:

  --with-ssl-dir=PATH     Specify path to OpenSSL installation

And maybe adding in:

  --with-zlib-dir=PATH

- Ben