openssh wish list for 2.6.*

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Feb 21 03:33:29 EST 2001

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 10:35:05AM -0600, mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org wrote:
> > and want "configure", run from openssh_cvs, to be able to find the zlib
> > and openssl trees in the directory "upstairs".
>
> That's great until there is a 1.1.4 release of zlib  or a 0.9.7 release
> of openssl.  Unless you can write the patch to account for such things
> then I think you'll need to keep setting CFLAGS/LDFLAGS.

I thought about that, yes, and was thinking about "look for well-known
versions that are also known to work".

> Also consider
> if people have openssl-0.9.6 and openssl-1.0.0 .. Which one do we guess
> is right?

Yep.  Good point.  "The one that is known to work and has the highest
version number"?  Right now, only 0.9.5a and 0.9.6 will work, so that
wouldn't be too hard...

> I'm more in favor of the correct usage of:
>
>   --with-ssl-dir=PATH     Specify path to OpenSSL installation
>
> And maybe adding in:
>
>   --with-zlib-dir=PATH

This would be fine for me (I run configure from a script anyway due to
the length command line, with --with-egd... and --with-skey=... and
so on).

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering at physik.tu-muenchen.de