OpenSSH-2.5.1p1 scp hangs when scping into an RH (6.0|7.0) box

Jim Breton vader at conflict.net
Thu Feb 22 04:12:01 EST 2001

OK I am running into another problem now as well (see the earlier posts
to this thread so see some of the systems involved).

In addition to the aforementioned issues, I also cannot do this:

ssh hostname "cat > filename" < filename

which is what I had been using as a work-around to the broken scp in
OpenSSH-2.3.0.  This now also seems broken in 2.5.1 in some cases.

In addition to the RH/Debian systems involved in my first post, I have
this problem going from my Debian potato machine to a Debian potato
machine (owned by someone else, on a remote network, running OpenSSL
0.9.6 compiled from source).  Testing locally on my lan does not seem to
be an issue, so I began to wonder whether it involved compression (I
enable it by default, but disable it when connecting to machines on my
lan).  However I just tried it with and without compression on the lan,
as well as remotely, and it didn't seem to make any difference.

I have a question if someone doesn't mind answering: does scp do exactly
the same thing as piping a file over ssh's stdin would do?  In other
words, is it just a front-end to setting up stdin/stdout on an ssh
process?

Hate to sound like an idiot luser and wish I could provide something
more useful than "it works in scenario X but not in scenario Y" but it
just doesn't make any sense to me either.

--

Jim B.
vader at conflict.net